Extensive and elegant wing of a fine period country house for sympathetic restoration and improvement with rambling gardens and specimen woodland. 1.59 acres.
East Wing Parkhill presents a rare opportunity indeed. On the market for the first time in 75 years this unspoilt period house dates from the1840s and retains a wealth of original features, including attractive fireplaces, stone flag floors, ceiling cornicing, panelled doors and shutters. With three double bedrooms and fine lofty reception rooms, the property is perfect for careful restoration. The extensive grounds include a fine mature garden, partly landscaped, with writer’s hut and a large area of superb mature woodland with splendid specimen trees.
To conclude; East Wing Parkhill is a perfect example of ‘faded glory’. A gracious survivor from a bygone era, this is a rare chance to restore a beautiful old house in one of the area’s most sought–after villages, close to historic Totnes.
East Wing Parkhill occupies a secluded and elevated position, set on a wooded hillside and enjoying superb countryside views. The property is approached by a sweeping driveway leading from the centre of the tiny ancient Parish of Littlehempston, which has a lovely church and a popular community run inn (The Tally Ho). The surrounding countryside is delightfully unspoilt and provides excellent opportunities for outdoor pursuits, particularly walking and riding. Nearby Totnes is about 3 miles and offers an interesting range of independent shops, cafes and restaurants, galleries and good educational provision. The River Dart is celebrated for sailing and rowing and the beautiful South Devon coast is less than 30 minutes drive. Other close by features include Dartington Hall and the Dart Valley steam railway. Totnes also benefits from a mainline station to London Paddington.
- HISTORICAL NOTES
The East Wing was incorporated as part of one house between 1838 and 1848; the Littlehempston tithe maps (available on the village website) show two buildings later joined as one. It is likely that the transformation from minor farmhouse to gentrified residence happened in that decade when compensation for land, used by the railway construction, was available. It is also clear from the tithe maps that the road and track layout around the village were realigned, allowing for the construction of Parkhill driveway and bridge, as well as the extensive boundary walls.
The owners of Parkhill, and much of the village, until 1941 were absentee landlords, the Bolton Estates. Parkhill was a rented property until sold by the Estate to Bob Grant in 1941; the price he paid was £2000 and included three cottages and eight acres. Parkhill has therefore been in the same family ownership for the past 75 years.
The East Wing is early Victorian in design although the external walls may be much older. The terrace and wooded garden were laid out in Victorian times and beneath the undergrowth lie zigzag paths from top to bottom.
Parkhill was divided into the South and East Wings in the 1980s, when the estate cottages were also sold off.
Part-glazed period wooden porch with half-glazed inner front door with side screens to:
- ENTRANCE HALL
Early flagstone flooring, sweeping period staircase, understairs cupboard and original panelled doors to:
- SITTING ROOM
Double aspect room with two French doors with period shutters looking onto garden. Elegant marble fireplace with woodburning stove, ceiling cornice, fitted shelves, cupboards.
- DINING ROOM/KITCHEN
Triple French doors with period shutters, looking onto garden. Period pine flooring, picture rails. The kitchen area has a large oil fired Aga with tiled splashback. Fireplace with heavy pine mantel shelf, sink unit, and worksurfaces. Door to:
- UTILITY ROOM
Victorian tiled flooring, fitted wall shelves, butlers sink, slate worksurfaces, shelving and appliance space. Oil fired boiler for part central heating and hot water. Door to lean-to greenhouse/conservatory with further door to garden.
From the Entrance Hall (previously mentioned) is a door to a:
- REAR HALLWAY
Early flagstone flooring and built-in cupboard with extensive shelving. Rear door to outside.
- SHOWER ROOM
With raised shower cubicle and electric shower unit above and W.C.
Stairs from Entrance Hall (previously mentioned) to First Floor:
Front aspect windows overlooking the garden and countryside beyond. Original panelled doors to:
- BEDROOM 1
Double aspect room enjoying views over the grounds and surrounding countryside. Ornate fireplace with cast iron inset and grate. Window seat and period window shutters, built-in wardrobe, and ceiling cornice.
- BEDROOM 2
Front aspect room enjoying similar fine views, ceiling cornicing, period fireplace with pretty tiled inset and radiator.
- SEPARATE W.C.
A large room with white cast iron bath, extensive built-in pine cupboards, one housing hot water cylinder and immersion heater. Further built-in cupboard, inset wash basin and front aspect window.
Stairs from inner landing to second floor:
- BEDROOM 3
A double aspect room enjoying unspoilt rural views from the front aspect, looking towards the ancient tower of Littlehempston Parish Church. Period pine boarded ceiling, wash basin and electric water heater and low door to very extensive roof storage space.
The grounds are an outstanding feature of the property. Approached from the village through a wide entrance with granite pillars, a shared sweeping driveway which includes attractive shaped grassed area with shrubs, opening into a parking area with access to the front porch. The principle elevation of the house gives way to a level area of lawn bordered by mature trees, shrubs and enjoying delightful rural views. To the side of the garden is a naturally landscaped area with steps up to an enchanting garden hut/retreat, needing repair and renovation. A pathway meanders through a superb tract of old established woodland, stocked with many fine specimen trees. The wooded area is typical of parkland style planting from the Victorian period and is bordered on the southern boundary by very substantial stone walling. Immediately across the lane is a further area of copse of long and narrow shape, bordering onto the River Hems. In total the grounds extend to 1.59 acres.
From Totnes take the A381 signed for Newton Abbot. After about 1 ½ miles take a left turn signed for Littlehempston and the Tally Ho Inn. Continue for about a further 1 mile, crossing the bridge and bearing left into the tiny village centre. Before reaching the Tally Ho and the church, you will see the entrance to Parkhill on the right, through two granite pillars. (If you pass under the bridge, you will have driven to far). Proceed up the driveway, keeping to the right, which will lead to Parkhill.